Contributors

Wednesday 5 February 2014

Cannot access site collection after migrating to SharePoint 2013

I had a few successful migrations under my belt to 2013. I had 4-5 site collections successfully moved. These were site collections that weren't used much in 2010 or that I knew weren't being updated.

So when I started moving some live site collections over, I couldn't rely on the users to avoid updating content during the process. So I put a lock on the site collection before moving it to ensure of this.

After migrating to 2013, I couldn't get access to it at all! I wasn't sure what was going on, assuming it was permissions based or something got to do with the move from Classic based authentication to Claims! But I had all that figured out before so I couldn't understand what was going on.

Low and behold, I ended up taking the lock off the original site collection and performing the back up then. And it worked. No errors, no problems, no issues.

So, moral of the story, don't waste 2 working days by putting a lock on your site before moving!!!! Back it up and then put the lock on it!

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment