Contributors

Monday 24 November 2014

Cannot save site as template - SharePoint 2013 Publishing Site

If you need to save a site as a template, but it is a publishing site, it's not going to work for you!! I don't know why, I haven't looked into the reasons behind it, I just know it doesn't work so you will just have to take my word for it :)

Anyway, for us, we create sites on a regular basis. These are small subsites and they all rely on the same template. So when I went to create one as a template, I got an error.

The best thing to do is to create a new subsite but do not enable the Server Side Publishing Feature on it. Do all the settings that you need to do and then go to Site Settings-->Save Site as a Template. This will work this time.

After you create sites with this template, you will have to import your Design Package/Master page etc but at least you don't have to get it looking the same which is what takes the time!

You can now select it as a template for any sites going forward.

PS. sorry I haven't posted in a while....

No comments:

Post a Comment