Contributors

Monday 3 December 2012

Changing the Item Limit


Changing the Item Limit on a list or document library

By default in SharePoint, a list or document library will have an item limit of 30 items. This means that a document library might only show 30 items or folders in a list. We need to change this to show the list in batches of 30 items instead.

How to Change the Item Limit

1.       Browse to the document library in question

2.       Login as SPAdmin

3.       Click on Library on the top banner


 


4.       Select Library Settings

5.       Go to the View area and click on the “All Documents” view


 



6.       Find and expand the “Item Limit” setting


 


7.       Ensure that the settings is set to “Display Items in Batches of the specified amount”. You can increase the Items to more than 30 but generally this is optimal as lists and libraries will load faster


 


8 comments:

  1. You are a supser star! I never thought to look at that setting to sort this out. I'm going to get some big brownie points from my customers! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Probelam at all! Glad it sorted it for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle: Any clue how to limit the number of items appearing in the Web Part list? I want to keep it to 5, but with each item I add to the library the list grows, pushing my other web parts off the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jeff, if you create a view on your list and set the item limit to 5, and sort it by modified date. Then add your web part to your page, edit the web part and you can choose your view that you want to display :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Michelle. Forgive my inexperience, I've been thrown into Sharepoint without any prior experience. I misspoke in my original question, the web part is a library of documents. But my question remains regarding limiting the viewable list. I'm sorry, but I don't fully grasp your answer because I don't fully understand all the details and setting locations. I understand if you can't respond. Thank you nonetheless.

      Delete