Contributors

Monday 3 December 2012

Unexpected Error on User Profile Service Application

Don't you just adore the "Unexpected Error" message. It's just so insightful and really gives you all the information that you need to go about troubleshooting!!

My User Profile Service Application would not open at all. I was getting said error. I did the usual thing which was restarting the User Profile Service as well as the Synchronisation Service but they failed to resolve the problem.

So I went onto my Web Server thinking that a good ol IISReset would sort this out. But that also failed. When I get to this point, the only other thing that I try if all else fails is to perform a Timer Reset. For those of you who do not know how to do a Timer Reset in SharePoint 2010, you can do it from the command line:

net stop SPTimerV4
net start SPTimerV4

So scratching my head, it dawned on me! My user profile service runs on my Application Server. So an IISReset on my Web Server was doing nothing. Well, nothing to resolve my problem anyway!

SO I ran the IISReset on the Application Server and hey presto! There was my User Profile Service Application Working again! Joy oh joy!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment